New year, new training
Welcome to 2021, and a whole new experience for all of us! But however stressful it may be, I might have found one great positive.
Although it seems we all need to acquire more skills, or come up with fresh ideas about just how we can cope as circumstances change, fortunately there are some people out there who can help us do this. You don’t need to do it on your own.
Time to learn
This month we have some great Time to Learn Zoom sessions, when staff from older people’s organisations get together to talk about a range of topics. Attendance is free and there’s no need to book, so please just get in touch if you would like me to add you to the mailing list for invitation and zoom link - [email protected]
- 12 January - Beth Kerrigan from the Leeds United Foundation - will tell us about their new ‘Fit Generations’ project, which they are planning to deliver online and then move to face-to-face. We will also get an update on how their Sporting memories group is going - I hope some of you have been linking people into that for Kayleigh.
- 19 January - Getting members active again. Group members have asked for help and advice around keeping participants active, or restarting physical activity. Staff from Active Leeds will introduce us to some of their online offers, and we’ll have a look at some of the other things people have been trying too if people went to share? (Has anyone had a go at the Yorkshire Dance classes?)
- 26 January - Experience some Mindfulness - by popular request, Laura from Leeds Mindfulness Coop will deliver a mindfulness session, giving you a chance to experience it and ask questions. This is to help you to encourage other people to take up some mindful practice as appropriate. Same zoom meeting details but at 1.30-3.00.
Being positive about vaccination (Forum Central Skillshare)
The second Forum Central Skillshare, open to staff from any Forum Central members who have an interest in the topic that month, is Being positive about vaccination - on 14 January.
It will be a chance to share what practical stuff we know, by then, about rollout in Leeds. But this isn't just official information – most importantly it's a space for you to think about any anxieties you have about selling it, and positive ways to have difficult conversations. We know some people have been worried about whether people might refuse to be vaccinated, or be worried about it in some way. If any of you have been involved already and can share positive stories from your members, please do come along. They can be a great way to reassure other people. Anyone who has tips for helping people who are feeling anxious, to make positive decisions, would also be very welcome. Again it's free to attend, but please book through Eventbrite so we can make sure you get the details.
Online arts and culture for health and wellbeing
Then 100% Digital Leeds have hooked up with Leeds Arts Health and Wellbeing Network to host a series of free 30 minute lunchtime webinars this January showcasing online arts and culture tools and resources for health and wellbeing. The webinars are perfect for Digital Champions and anyone else looking to support people more with digital.
Each of the three webinars will showcase a range of simple, accessible, and fun ways for people to engage with arts and culture digitally, from home. The websites, apps, and online events will be accessible and suitable for a range of audiences, including older people. The sessions will cover a range of art forms and ways to be creative, from drawing to dance.
The sessions will include practical information on:
- How online arts and culture tools can help people to develop their digital skills and confidence
- How online arts and culture tools can help people to improve their health and wellbeing and connect with others
- Awareness of some of the exciting and accessible ways people can get involved with arts and culture remotely, in Leeds and further afield
All three webinars are free, on Zoom, and bookable at Eventbrite
This is just a selection of the support and training currently available - to find out about more events subscribe to Forum Central’s weekly email newsletter.
Time to Shine Learning Facilitator